Meredith and Ailman Bank Block, now the Palace Hotel, was built in 1882. In 1900 Max Shutz, created The Palace Hotel in Silver City, New Mexico. A major remodel of the exterior was done by Henry Trost in 1928, a well known Southwestern architect from El Paso, Texas. The remodel was of the exterior and interior lobby. The hotel name was changed to The Clark by the new owner. The hotel was closed in the 1980’s and July 1, 1990 a remodeled Palace was opened for business. The present owners have owned and successfully operated it for 27 years.