The Coker residence and grounds reflect the life and accomplishments of Dr. William C. Coker, regarded as the father of Botany in the Southeastern United States. Built in 1908, the residence shows both Prairie Style and Craftsman influence. Coker linked each room of the gracious living spaces of the house to the surrounding gardens and plantings. Architecture and grounds are in a remarkable state of preservation.
The Coker house and grounds are the anchor of the Chapel Hill National Register Historic District. Extraordinary trees planted by Coker in the early 20th c. create a private arboretum.
This property provides seclusion and privacy within a short walk to the beautiful, historic campus of the University of North Carolina.