|Contact name||Rick Baker|
|Home area||3,677 sqft|
|Lot Area||0.55 acres|
They don’t build homes like this anymore! The craftsmanship, woodwork, stained glass, crown molding, and oak and pine hardwood floors in this home are a rare combination seldom, if ever, found on the market. This beautiful home was built in 1901 by Edward F. Wilder and has been lovingly cared for by only three families in its history. This spacious home with over 3,000 SF of living area offers original details while still offering conveniences of today, such as 5 bedrooms, a two car garage, central air conditioning, a beautiful fireplace, unparalleled location on the corner of Main Street and High Street, a walk-up attic with high ceilings offering amazing expansion potential (architect plans available), a new 5 bedroom septic in 2017, a new architectural shingle roof in 2012, along with updates to the heating system, electrical, hot water tank, and windows. Call Rick Baker today 857-267-1956 to schedule a showing. Come by and make 4 High Street, Hingham your future home!
This stately Edward F. Wilder home overlooks the intersection of Main, High, and Free Streets in South Hingham. It is located in the local Tower-Wilder Historic District in South Hingham as mapped in 1986. This District was added to the South Hingham National Register of Historic Places in 1998 and includes historic homes on Main Street between the Crooked Meadow River and Tower Brook. It is also part of Hingham’s “Comprehensive Community Inventory of Historic, Architectural and Archaeological Assets” list. The plaque located near the front entrance recognizing it as the Edward F. Wilder House, was obtained from the Hingham Historic Commission.
Three families have lived in this house during its 116 year history. It is the only Shingle Style house in the local historic district, although the shingle style was very popular along Coastal New England around the beginning of the 20th Century. The exterior of the house, with its continuous sheet of dark wooden shingles covering its full three stories, looks much as it did in 1901 when it was built by Edward for his second wife, Carrie (Newton) with three exceptions: on the front side of the house facing Main Street, there was once a deck under the beautiful Queen Anne stained glass window, between the bay window and north-facing porch; the north porch windows and columns were replaced in the late 1960’s; and the government built the surrounding granite retaining wall during WWII when High Street was lowered to enable ammunition trucks traveling between the Hingham Ammunition Depot and Cohasset Annex to negotiate the High Street hill. Looking west across the driveway, Mr. Wilder would recognize the outward appearance of his stable and carriage house, long since made into apartments as #8 and #10 High Street by Dr. Underwood. Inside, Mrs. Wilder would recognize the well-maintained hard wood floors and woodwork throughout the house, as well as her beautiful fireplace, French doors, pocket doors, large bedroom “chambers”, generous bedroom and front hall closets, and even her maid’s bedroom and closet in the attic. Dr. David Underwood, and his wife, Maude, the second owners, converted the dining room and front hall into his doctor’s office and waiting room while using the property as his in-home medical practice, which later became the office and waiting room for Dr. Gerald Collins’ practice. Changes were made to the butler’s pantry to accommodate a lab for their medical use, and updates were made to the kitchen, but the “bones” of the house remain the same as you see today.