|Contact name||Corky McIlrath-Flint|
|Home area||3,659 sqft|
|Lot Area||0.9 acres|
INSELRUHE: This Historic Landmark Home, built in 1875 for James B. Monroe by locally reknowned builder George Gascoyne, was passed to his daughter, Minnie Monroe, wife of US Navy Rear Admiral John Jacob Hunker. The Millers, the 2nd owners, purchased it in 1937 w/the original furniture, collectibles, antiques & Hunker family documents still inside. Inselruhe was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Built in the Steamboat Gothic style, the name means Island Rest in German. It has been the summer home for only 3 families. Step through the door & feel transported back to when life was more genteel & less stressful. If the walls could talk they would tell of visits by US President Howard Taft & other dignitaries. 12 & 11 Ft ceilings coexist with ornate wood trim throughout the home. The smoothly flowing banister is a work of art! Some original furnishings included. Magnificent view of PIB harbor! Widows Walk with phenomenal birds eye view!
Additional Buildings / Amenities
- Carriage House
- Finished Basement
- Guest Cottage