|Contact name||John Czekner|
|Home area||5,598 sqft|
|Lot Area||0.91 acres|
In the small southern city of Lexington, VA, there is an historic home that exceeds all expectations – Stonegate, built in 1859. This 5 bedroom 3 1/2 bath home contains the finest technical, mechanical, and structural details and is exceptionally well equipped with all one would expect in a grand residence. The home rests in a park-like setting on nearly an acre in downtown Lexington, and the property includes a carriage house with a 2-bedroom apartment over a 2-car garage.
The original home which is now the kitchen was most probably built in 1832 for the James Campbell family. The addition (or 2nd home) was built in 1859-1860. James Campbell died in the 1850’s and the Campbell farm was sold to E.F Paxton who would later become a Brigadier General in the Confederate Army and was killed in the battle of Chancellorsville while leading the Stonewall Brigade and W.G. White. The house stood on 175 acres. These two men then subdivided the farm and “offered for sale at public auction” much of the subdivision. The lot containing the “dwelling house” was purchased for $6,080 by Reverend William M. McElwee. Reverend McElwee built what we now see as the main house in 1859. He owned it throughout the civil war.
After the Civil War was over, General Robert E. Lee was asked to be president of nearby Washington College (Washington and Lee University). He accepted and moved to the city of Lexington. The General would visit the Reverend McElwee and sometimes stay late in the afternoon. Word would spread that the General was there, and great crowds would assemble in front of the house to watch him leave. General Lee liked to keep his privacy and would leave the house through a trap door in the floor of the dining room which would take him in the basement and out the back of the home avoiding the paparazzo of that time.
Reverend McElwee sold the home in 1871 to Harriet Sellers for $10,000. The home sold again in 1889 to the Moody Family. Mr. Moody attended VMI and its alumni house is named for him. Several ownerships took place between 1900-1974. The house surprisingly had been unchanged in design since 1890. In 1990 the home was purchased by Mr. & Mrs. Thomas W. Browne who refurbished the entire home. The finest structural, mechanical, and technical updates were added and the historical trap door (Lee’s escape route) was left in place and incorporated into the new cherry flooring.
This beautiful home is located in downtown Lexington. Perfect for walking to get a bite to eat or perhaps to walk your dog and do a little shopping. There is a playground walking distance from the home and a 5 minute drive to mountain views. Perfect for a relaxation home and right in the middle of everything that you could possible need in the little town of Lexington, VA.
Additional Buildings / Amenities
- Carriage House
- Finished Basement
- Guest Cottage