|Contact name||The Dan Volkmer Team|
|Home area||9,287 sqft|
|Lot Area||0.45 acres|
Welcome to The Mackenzie House, built in 1892 for Dr. and Mrs. K.A.J. Mackenzie by Architects McCaw and Martin and ranks in the top 10 of architectural works of art in Portland. This highly ornate house embodies a plethora of distinguishing characteristics attributed to the high style architectural residential buildings of the last decade of the 19th century and is the most important example of the Richardsonian Romanesque residential architecture still standing in Portland. She is located in the heart of the Historic Alphabet District and remains one of the surviving Grand Old Houses of the opulent 19th Avenue neighborhood that grew up in NW Portland in the 1880’s and 1890’s.
The exterior demonstrates the massive strength of Tenino stone, quarried in Olympia Washington, gray-blue slate roofing material and the architectural craftsman details befitting the fierce Scottish “Baronial” nature of the Mackenzie clan. The interior reflects the intricacies of the exterior with its attention to detail down to the minutia of hand painted fireplace tiles, the abundance of golden oak carved wood, leaded and stained glass windows and hand wrought metal works and lighting fixtures.
The Mackenzie house survived like a sturdy Scottish Thistle, the ravages of the mid-twentieth century’s proclivities to “tear down”, or “re-purpose” the big old beauties of yester-year. With it’s sale, another chapter begins in the life of this magical, resilient and significant architectural treasure.
Now housing the administrative offices of William Temple, a non-profit social services agency, the floor plan of the main house remains reasonably intact including original decorations, wall coverings and woodwork in the public rooms.
The Mackenzie House serves as administrative offices, chapel, meeting place and offices for a string of good deed doers: Good Samaritan Hospital, followed by The Jesuits and now the William Temple House. All have filled this architectural wonder with positive energies, community assistance and good will.
Designed by Architects McCaw & Martin
615 NW 20th Avenue Portland
8 Bedrooms – 5 Full & 1 Half Baths – 9,287 SF
Designed in 1981 by Architects Fletcher, Finch, Farr & Associates
Abbott Hall, the addition to Mackenzie House, is a structure designed by the firm Fletcher, Finch, Farr and Associates and was constructed to house the expanding counseling and social service programs of William Temple House. It is named in memory of Fr. Abbott, who served as Executive Director from 1965-1990. Abbott Hall was designed to compliment it’s sister house and yet afford an independent function. The architecture, separated by nearly 100 years of design, incorporated the shingles of The Richardsonian/Shingle style and the fenestrations echo those of the main house. A breezeway connects the two structures and serves as the reception area for both.
Abbott Hall; 16 Offices+ Lobby+ 2 Conference Rooms/4 Half Baths/ Parking for 8 cars/ 8,960 sqft
Lot Sizes for both buildings: Lot R141216: 12,500 sqft, Lot R141217: 3,750 sqft, Lot R141218: 3,750 sqft
Call Dan Volkmer for details at 503-781-3366
Or email at Dan@danvolkmer.com